This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: Recognizing the 40th anniversary of Stonewall
Source: H. RES. 433
- Whereas the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, New York City, was a bar primarily patronized by a diverse cross-section of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community;
- Whereas at around 1:20 a.m. on June 28, 1969, police raided the Stonewall Inn, closing the bar and forcing patrons outside;
- Whereas such raids were among the many ways in which government harassed and discriminated against members of the LGBT community during this period, which included, for example, prohibiting dancing with a person of the same sex, terminating one's employment, and using entrapment to arrest people;
- Whereas thousands returned to the Stonewall Inn on the nights of June 28 and July 2, 1969, to express their support of basic freedoms, equality, and fair treatment for LGBT Americans, chanting such slogans as 'Gay Power', and 'Equality For Homosexuals';
- Whereas the series of protests, often referred to as 'Stonewall', marked a watershed event in which
LGBT Americans dramatically showed a growing determination to publicly resist government discrimination and harassment;
- Whereas Stonewall sparked a remarkable increase in activism and action by LGBT Americans across the country to advocate for equal rights;
- Whereas inspired by Stonewall, LGBT pride parades and festivals occur in cities across the country and the world every June;
- Whereas a great deal of progress has been made in achieving equal rights for LGBT Americans since Stonewall occurred 40 years ago, but much work remains to be done:
Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
- recognizes the 40th anniversary of Stonewall;
- honors those who participated during Stonewall and since that time in the civil rights struggle of LGBT Americans; and
- recommits itself to protecting and providing equal rights for all Americans, including those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 3.
Question 3: Comfortable with same-sex marriage
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Civil Rights
- Headline: Recognize the 40th anniversary of Stonewall
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill to recognize 40th anniversary of Stonewall
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 2009-HR433
participating in 2009-HR433
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: