This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: that congress should decide land use, not DOI
Source: Antiquities Act Amendments (S.1741)
OnTheIssues.org EXPLANATION: Public lands are open for grazing, recreational, and other public uses. Prior to this bill, the Secretary of the Interior or the President would decide when to declare parcels of public land as a "national monument," which has much more restrictive land use. This bill proposes to let Congress decide when the parcel is over 5,000 acres, instead of the Secretary of the Interior deciding without Congress.
OFFICIAL CONGRESSIONAL SUMMARY: A bill to amend the Act entitled "An Act for the Preservation of American Antiquities", approved June 8, 1906, to provide congressional review of Presidential monument proclamations, and to amend the Act entitled "Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976", approved October 21, 1976, to alter the congressional review procedures of land withdrawals.
EXCERPTS FROM BILL:
Antiquities Act Amendments of 1979
- Amends the Antiquities
Act to define "objects of historic or scientific interest" to include specified items. Stipulates that such objects must be directly associated with human activities.
- Requires congressional approval of any Presidential proclamation of a national monument before it can effect a reservation of public lands in excess of 5,000 acres.
- Permits the continuance of uses of public lands within a national monument which were valid uses prior to the designation of such lands as a monument, including hunting, guiding, hiking, boating, and use of motorized vehicles.
- Stipulates that such uses must not adversely affect the objects sought to be protected by the reservation.
- Grants such provisions governing the proclamation of national monuments retroactive effect as of October 14, 1978.
- Amends the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 to require congressional approval of withdrawals of public lands in excess of 5,000 acres by the Secretary of the Interior.
- Topic: Environment
- Headline: Congress should decide land use, not DOI
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill for Congress to decide land use, not DOI
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 79-S1741
||s1o||UT Republican Sr Senator|| |
||s1o||WY Republican Senator (Former)|| |
||s1o||AK Former Republican Sr Senator|| |
participating in 79-S1741
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: