Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
The Carter-Ford Presidential Debates, Sept.-Oct. 1976
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Carter-Ford Presidential Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- Gerald Ford (14)
- Jimmy Carter (18)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Excerpts from the 1976 presidential debates between President Gerald Ford and Governor Jimmy Carter:
- September 23, 1976: at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia, PA.
- October 6, 1976: at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre in San Francisco, CA.
- October 22, 1976: on the campus of the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA.
Other historical debate series:
- Kennedy vs. Nixon, 1960
- Reagan vs. Carter, 1980
- Clinton vs. Bush, 1992
Historical transcripts from the American Presidency Project
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Gerald Ford: Favors constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion.
Jimmy Carter: Minimize abortions, but no constitutional amendment.
Budget & Economy|
Gerald Ford: Tax cuts are the best way to stimulate the economy.
Jimmy Carter: Balance budget by shifting taxes and employing people.
Jimmy Carter: Balance budget by 1981 by zero-based assessments.
Jimmy Carter: Civil rights act was greatest thing ever for the South.
Jimmy Carter: GOP tax policy is welfare for the rich.
Gerald Ford: OpEd: School segregation has increased in the Northeast.
Gerald Ford: Favors constitutional amendment for voluntary school prayer.
Gerald Ford: Increase federal spending on education, but not by $30B.
Energy & Oil|
Gerald Ford: Strip mining & high emissions OK if labor & management agree.
Jimmy Carter: Energy policy needed to avoid kowtowing to oil countries.
Gerald Ford: Need more oil and gas production in comprehensive program.
Jimmy Carter: Develop a varied energy portfolio, including solar.
Gerald Ford: OpEd: consistently reduced pollution enforcement.
Jimmy Carter: Treat Arab oil embargo like declaring economic war.
Jimmy Carter: US needs to regain respect in UN and with our allies.
Jimmy Carter: Supports complete moratorium on nuclear weapon testing.
Gerald Ford: Cutting defense negatively impacts economy and jobs.
Gerald Ford: Gun registration does not reduce crime; focus on misuse.
Gerald Ford: Give draft evaders opportunity to earn their records back.
Jimmy Carter: Would pardon draft evaders outright to heal nation.
Jimmy Carter: Voluntary price restraints to put our people back to work.
Principles & Values|
Gerald Ford: North Vietnam must account for US MIAs or bar from UN.
Jimmy Carter: Put the people and US allies back into foreign policy debate.
Jimmy Carter: Return to values of Constitution and be open with the people.
Jimmy Carter: Constitution & Bill of Rights should guide foreign policy.
Jimmy Carter: Return to values to regain role as world's moral beacon.
Jimmy Carter: The greatness of America can be restored.
Gerald Ford: Cutting federal spending justifies tax cuts.
War & Peace|
Jimmy Carter: No US war in Yugoslavia even if Soviet Union sent in troops.
Welfare & Poverty|
Gerald Ford: Urban policy: $6B in revenue sharing for cities & states.
The above quotations are from The Carter-Ford Presidential Debates, Sept.-Oct. 1976.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President Donald Trump
- Crippled America, by Donald Trump
- Trump Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton On the Issues
- President Barack Obama
- Decision Points, by Barack Obama
- Obama Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney On the Issues
- President George W. Bush
- Bush Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Clinton Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy & Nixon, by Chris Matthews
- 1000 Days, by Arthur Schlesinger
- 13 Days, by Robert F. Kennedy
- President Dwight Eisenhower
- Waging Peace, by Dwight Eisenhower
- Ike and Dick, by Jeffrey Frank
- President Harry Truman
- Plain Speaking, by Merle Miller
- Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, by Ralph Keyes