The mayor recently rolled out his Green New Deal-like plan for New York.
He also opposes natural gas pipelines and wants the U.S. back in the Paris Climate Accords.
Source: Townhall.com: "The 2020 Democrats" (presidential hopefuls)
, May 18, 2019
40% reduction in emissions by 2030
The policies laid out in "OneNYC 2050: Building a Strong and Fair City," will achieve a 40% reduction in emissions from a 2005 baseline by 2030--the breaking point to turn back the most irreversible consequences of climate change. The announcements
today will reduce our emissions by the following percentages from a 2005 baseline:
10%: Mandating that all large, existing buildings implement retrofits to be more efficient and lower emissions--a global first.
6%: OneNYC initiatives to
further reduce emissions including more renewable energy, expanded energy efficiency in buildings & reduced reliance on fossil fuel vehicles.
5%: Pursuing a deal to power 100% of City operations with clean electricity sources like Canadian hydropower.
2%: Cleaning up vehicle fleet and implementing congestion pricing.
The above actions will account for a 23% reduction in emissions. Previous actions taken by the de Blasio administration have already resulted in a 5% reduction, totaling 28%.
Q: Talk about New York's Green New Deal, obviously the one presented in congress caused a riff even among Democrats?
A: We are actually making the Green New Deal come alive here in New York City. So we have our own Green New Deal, it's very basic
ideas. The biggest source of emissions in NYC is buildings. We are putting clear, strong mandates, the first of any major city, to say to building owners, you got to clean up your act, you got to retrofit, you got to save energy, if you don't do it by
2030 there will be serious fines, as high as a million dollars or more for the biggest buildings. And this mandate is going to guarantee that we reduce emissions. We are going to ban the classic glass and steel skyscrapers which are incredibly
inefficient. If someone wants to build one of those things [we'll allow it only if] they take a whole lot of steps to make it energy efficient. And the City of New York, we are going to get all of our energy from renewable sources in the next five years.
Divest $5B from Big Oil; invest in renewable energy
We took on Big Oil. We're divesting $5 billion of our workers' hard-earned retirement savings, taking that $5 billion out of the fossil fuel companies that are destroying this planet.
And we're putting billions where it belongs--into renewable energy that will save us all.
Source: 2019 State of the City address
, Jan 10, 2019
No to fracking; yes to wind, solar, & geothermal
Harnessing the Power of the Purse to Promote Energy Efficiency: The City of New York has enormous leverage through its purchasing power to promote the use of green products and increase energy efficiency.
Commit to Renewable Energy:
The green collar economy begins with a clear commitment to alternative energy sources. Bill de Blasio will expand the city's investment in large-scale clean energy production, including wind, solar, geothermal, hydropower and biofuels.
Uphold Moratorium on Hydraulic Fracturing: In 2009, Bill de Blasio sponsored the resolution calling on federal and state agencies to assess the risks posed by hydrofracking to drinking water, and to apply appropriate regulations. He supports the
two-year fracking moratorium recently passed by the Assembly, and hopes the Senate will also approve the measure. Questions about health and environ-mental safety remain unanswered, and we can't afford to get this wrong.