Jay Gonzalez on Gun Control
Ban assault weapons and gun silencers
Stopping Gun Violence Before It Starts
- Address the root causes of violence by investing in programs that provide stability in people's lives.
- Support community policing efforts aimed at building strong neighborhood ties and engaging high-risk
- Expand summer job programs for at-risk youth.
- Partner with cities and towns to target gun violence hot spots, and revitalize high-crime neighborhoods
Reducing Access to Guns and Increasing Enforcement
Source: 2018 Massachusetts gubernatorial campaign website jay4ma.com
, Dec 12, 2017
- Advocate for the
reinstatement of the federal assault weapons ban.
- Support Attorney General Healey's enforcement of the state assault weapons ban, including "copycat" assault weapons.
- Support innovative and proven programs to get guns off the streets,
such as buy backs.
- Oppose legislation that would legalize gun silencers.
- Promote development and advancement in "smart gun" technologies that restrict access to only a gun's legal owner.
Combating gun violence a priority
Massachusetts has a long history of national leadership on gun control. Our Commonwealth is widely recognized for having some of the toughest gun laws in the country. Massachusetts has the lowest rate of gun deaths among all states.
However, even one gun-related death is too many. Massachusetts needs to aim higher in its efforts to address the root causes of violence and reduce access to guns. I pledge to work hard to combat gun violence across our Commonwealth.
Source: 2018 Massachusetts Gubernatorial website Jay4MA.com
, Sep 15, 2017
Page last updated: Jul 05, 2018