Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Columns and news articles on NY politics in The Wall Street Journal
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Wall Street Journal (number of quotes indicated):
- Al Franken (1) Democrat/DFL Jr Senator (resigned 2017) Minnesota
- Al Gore (2) Democrat
- Andrew Cuomo (2) New York Democratic Governor
- Annise Parker (1) Texas Mayor of Houston
- Ben Carson (1) HUD Secretary
- Bill Cassidy (1) Republican Challenger Louisiana
- Buddy Roemer (5) Republican (Former LA Governor)
- Carly Fiorina (2) California V.P. nominee toTed Cruz
- Cory Booker (1) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Cory Gardner (1) Republican Senate challenger Colorado
- Dan Quayle (2)
- Dan Sullivan (1) Republican challenger Alaska
- Donald Trump (3) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Fred Thompson (1) Republican
- Gary Johnson (1) New Mexico Libertarian Gubernatorial Challenger
- George W. Bush (3) Republican
- Greg Orman (2) Kansas Independent candidate for Governor
- Hillary Clinton (10) Democratic Presidential candidate
- James Webb (5) Former Virginia Senator; Democratic Presidential candidate
- Jeff Bell (3) Republican Senate challenger New Jersey
- Joe DioGuardi (1) 2010 Republican Challenger New York
- Joe Miller (1) Challenger and previous Republican Nominee Alaska
- John Kasich (2) Ohio Republican Ohio Governor
- John MacGovern (2) Democratic Challenger for VT Senator Vermont
- Josh Mandel (1) Former Republican Nominee (withdrew 2018) Ohio
- Kamala Harris (1) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kate Brown (1) Oregon Democratic Governor
- Kay Hagan (1) Democratic Jr Senator North Carolina
- Liz Cheney (1) Republican Challenger Wyoming
- Loretta Sanchez (1) Democratic Senate candidate California
- Matt Bevin (1) Kentucky Republican Governor
- Mead Treadwell (2) Alaska Republican Lt. Governor
- Mike Gravel (2) Democratic challenger for president
- Mitt Romney (3) Massachusetts Former GOP Governor (2003-2006); Pres. candidate (2008)
- Neel Kashkari (1) California Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Rand Paul (2) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Rex Rammell (2) Wyoming Republican candidate for governor of Wyoming
- Robert Reich (1) Massachusetts Former Dem. Challenger 2002, and Cabinet Sec'y
- Scott Walker (1) Wisconsin WI Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Steven Chu (2) Cabinet
- Ted Cruz (5) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Tim Pawlenty (2) Minnesota Republican challenger and previous Governor
- Tom Cotton (1) Republican Senate challenger Arkansas
- Tom Foley (1) Connecticut Republican challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in The Wall Street Journal:
- A.P., "Trump admits he's blocking postal cash to stop mail-in votes," Aug.13, 2020, with Wall Street Journal, "USPS to Suspend Changes Until After Election," Aug.18, 2020
- (On Donald Trump): Wall Street Journal on 2016 Trump Administration planning, 12/12/2016
- (On Kamala Harris & Loretta Sanchez): Wall Street Journal on 2016 California Senate race, 5/19/2016
- (On Donald Trump): Wall Street Journal, "Lean on the Fed?", by Greg Ip, 5/6/2016
- (On Donald Trump): Wall Street Journal Op-Ed by Donald Trump, 4/14/2016
- (On Hillary Clinton): Laura Meckler & Richard Rubin in Wall Street Journal, 12/9/2015
- (On Kate Brown): Wall Street Journal on SB-941 Oregon voting record, 5/11/2015
- (On Scott Walker): Wall Street Journal on 2016 presidential hopefuls, 3/9/2015
- (On Ben Carson): Wall Street Journal:2015 Conservative Political Action Conf., 2/26/2015
- (On Rand Paul): 2015 Wall Street Journal on 2016 presidential hopefuls, 2/7/2015
- (On Hillary Clinton): Mark Peters in Wall Street Journal, "ISIS strongest threat", 10/8/2014
- (On Tom Cotton): Wall Street Journal PacWatch on 2014 Arkansas Senate debate, 10/1/2014
- (On Greg Orman): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Kansas Senate debate, 9/6/2014
- (On Neel Kashkari): Wall Street Journal on 2014 California Gubernatorial debate, 9/5/2014
- (On Tom Foley): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Connecticut gubernatorial debate, 8/10/2014
- (On Dan Sullivan): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Alaska Senate debate, 8/5/2014
- (On Joe Miller): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Alaska Senate debate, 8/5/2014
- (On Mead Treadwell): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Alaska Senate debate, 8/5/2014
- (On Hillary Clinton): Wall Street Journal on Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton, 6/17/2014
- (On Liz Cheney): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Wyoming Senate race, 6/17/2014
- (On Hillary Clinton): Beth Reinhard in Wall Street Journal, "Third Way", 6/14/2014
- (On Jeff Bell): The Wall Street Journal on 2014 New Jersey Senate race, 6/4/2014
- (On Hillary Clinton): Wall Street Journal, "Anywhere, Anytime Gun Culture", 5/6/2014
- (On Matt Bevin): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Kentucky Senate race, 4/25/2014
- (On Al Franken): Wall Street Journal AdWatch on 2014 Minnesota Senate race, 3/25/2014
- (On Cory Gardner): Wall Street Journal on 2014 Colorado Senate race, 3/2/2014
- (On Kay Hagan): Wall Street Journal on 2014 North Carolina Senate race, 2/4/2014
- (On Ted Cruz): Wall Street Journal editorial on 2014 State of the Union, 1/28/2014
- (On Andrew Cuomo): Wall Street Journal: 2014 New York State gubernatorial race, 9/4/2013 & 1/5/2014
- (On Cory Booker): Wall Street Journal coverage of 2013 N.J. Senate debate, 8/5/2013
- (On John MacGovern): Wall Street Journal on 2018 Vermont Senate race, 11/1/2012
- (On Mitt Romney): Romney's editorial in the Wall Street Journal, 9/30/2012
- (On Gary Johnson): Danny Yadron in Wall Street Journal, "Libertarian Nod", 5/5/2012
- (On Josh Mandel): Josh Mandel opinion piece in Wall Street Journal, 12/2/2011
- (On Tim Pawlenty): Jonathan Weisman & Amy Merrick in Wall Street Journal, p. A4, 6/8/2011
- (On Buddy Roemer): The Wall Street Journal, "Longshot from Louisiana", 3/16/2011
- (On Joe DioGuardi): Wall Street Journal coverage of 2010 N. Y. Senate debate, 10/22/2010
- (On Annise Parker): Wall Street Journal, "Politics", 12/12/2009
- (On Carly Fiorina): Wall Street Journal, "Reboot California", 11/30/2009
- (On Steven Chu): Keith Johnson on Wall Street Journal blog, 12/11/2008
- (On Rex Rammell): T.W. Farnam, Wall Street Journal; Page A6, 6/18/2008
- (On Mike Gravel): Wall Street Journal "Washington Wire" blog, 6/19/2007
- (On Fred Thompson): Fred Thompson editorial in The Wall Street Journal, 4/14/2007
- (On James Webb): Jeanne Cummings, Wall Street Journal, p. A6, 6/8/2006
- (On George W. Bush & Al Gore): Laurie Mcginley, The Wall Street Journal, 10/31/2000
- (On Al Gore): Bob Davis & Glenn Simpson, Wall Street Journal, 10/27/2000
- (On Robert Reich): The Wall Street Journal, Op-Ed, "Progressive Vouchers", 9/6/2000
- (On George W. Bush): Carla Anne Robbins, Wall Street Journal, p. A4, 5/24/2000
- (On John Kasich): The Wall Street Journal, "Mediate Kosovo?", 4/21/99, 4/21/1999
- (On Dan Quayle): Dan Quayle column in the Wall Street Journal, 1/25/1998
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Dan Sullivan: Exception for abortion to protect life of mother.
Joe Miller: Don't talk about exceptions; talk about life.
Mead Treadwell: Exception for abortion for rape, incest & maternal health.
John MacGovern: Don't require churches to provide birth control to staff.
Buddy Roemer: Tight limits on abortion are unconstitutionally restrictive.
James Webb: Supports Roe v. Wade and abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Donald Trump: The Fed should refinance debt to reduce interest payments.
Tom Foley: Tax credits are spending; oppose $400M job expansion credits.
Jeff Bell: Fed's zero interest rate policy extends Great Recession.
John MacGovern: Budget deficit is a moral issue as well as economic issue.
Mead Treadwell: Allow transgendered to correct gender on driver's license.
Annise Parker: First openly lesbian mayor of a major American city:.
Carly Fiorina: Proud conservative vote for Proposition 8.
James Webb: Opposes constitutional ban of gay marriage.
Al Franken: Oppo AdWatch: Franken limits free speech issue advocacy.
Bill Cassidy: Opposed Obama stimulus; supported Bush's bank bailout.
Hillary Clinton: Medical marijuana maybe ok; states decide recreational use.
Ben Carson: Private schooling better than Common Core public schooling.
Neel Kashkari: Side with poor kids, not union bosses.
Robert Reich: $10,000 vouchers for poor kids in private & charter schools.
Energy & Oil|
Kay Hagan: Advocate for Keystone XL pipeline.
Cory Booker: Has never taken a public position on a carbon tax.
Josh Mandel: Aggressive and responsible exploration of Ohio's Utica shale.
Buddy Roemer: Railed against ethanol subsidies in Iowa.
Steven Chu: Coal is my worst nightmare.
Steven Chu: Nuclear waste issues are still not fully resolved.
James Webb: Support alternative sources instead of drilling ANWR.
Al Gore: UN report confirms global warming; Gore revives the issue.
Greg Orman: Rein in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Matt Bevin: I don't support cockfighting, but don't criminalize it.
Rex Rammell: Raised elk for antler velvet and for hunter’s trophies.
Families & Children|
Tom Cotton: Domestic violence victim funding pushes ideological agenda.
Hillary Clinton: ISIL is more advanced and well-funded than al Qaeda.
Hillary Clinton: Political restraint against Iran's Ahmadinejad was a mistake.
Hillary Clinton: 2011: we abandoned Egypt's Mubarak too readily.
Hillary Clinton: 2012: Take a harder line with Russia's Putin.
Andrew Cuomo: Follow Congressional process in Syrian intervention.
Mitt Romney: Support Arab Spring gov't & individuals who share our values.
Kamala Harris: TPP doesn't offer sufficient worker protections.
Loretta Sanchez: Opposes TPP; joined union protests against it.
Andrew Cuomo: Start-Up NY: expand foreign trade to boost upstate economies.
Carly Fiorina: Change rules about outsourcing; current climate forces it.
Donald Trump: Reject the elite election system; infuse popular will.
Hillary Clinton: Expand executive action on immigration, guns, & corporations.
Ted Cruz: Obama dishonors Constitution by bypassing Congress.
Ted Cruz: Obama's executive orders is open door for future lawlessness.
Tim Pawlenty: Eliminate the Post Office.
Buddy Roemer: Won Governor & House seat with voluntary contribution limit.
Al Gore: Regulatory style: smaller & smarter govt, but stronger regs.
George W. Bush: Regulatory style: like Reagan, get government out of the way.
Kate Brown: Require more background checks on gun sales.
Hillary Clinton: Rein in idea that anybody can have a gun anywhere, anytime.
Hillary Clinton: 2000: advocate for national gun registry; 2008: backed off.
Ted Cruz: Obama changed ObamaCare mandate deadline by a blog post.
Ted Cruz: Obama asked companies to disobey ObamaCare rules for a year.
Donald Trump: F-35 program out-of-control; cut billions in military costs.
James Webb: Quit Reagan administration protesting cuts to Navy budget.
George W. Bush: Post-Cold War: remove weapons & high-alert; build SDI.
George W. Bush: Russia: jointly reduce missiles; but no joint SDI.
James Webb: Allow illegal immigrants a path to citizenship.
Scott Walker: Wisconsin is open for business, via right-to-work law.
Ted Cruz: Raising minimum wage by executive fiat opposes rule of law.
Principles & Values|
Greg Orman: I've tried both parties and didn't like either.
Jeff Bell: 1982: ran for Senate; speechwriter for Ronald Reagan.
Jeff Bell: Wife wept upon hearing he would run for Senate.
Cory Gardner: Giving up Energy Committee seat to run for Senate.
Buddy Roemer: Placed third in 1991 re-election bid.
Buddy Roemer: Publicly described himself as "a church-going Methodist boy".
Joe DioGuardi: Gillibrand had a 2-year tryout; now give me a 2-year tryout.
Rex Rammell: Running against Risch for killing his elk herd.
Mike Gravel: Video “Fire” is metaphor for gathering & using experience.
Mike Gravel: Video “Rock” is metaphor for causing changes in society.
Gary Johnson: 23% national sales tax while eliminating the IRS.
Tim Pawlenty: Just two tax brackets: 10% below $100K; then 25% above that.
Fred Thompson: Tax cuts stimulate the economy.
Dan Quayle: Radical tax change eventually; cut taxes in interim.
Dan Quayle: Eliminate most tax preferences; preserve “core incentives”.
War & Peace|
Rand Paul: Hillary's War: Ousting Gadhafi in Libya gave rise to ISIS.
Rand Paul: Supporting rebels in Syrian Civil War gave rise to ISIS.
Hillary Clinton: Don't demand complete moratorium on Israeli settlement.
Hillary Clinton: 2012: We helped Syrian rebels, but we should have done more.
Liz Cheney: ISIS: Rarely has a president been so wrong.
Mitt Romney: Not conquest, but promoting human rights & free markets.
Mitt Romney: No daylight between the United States and Israel.
John Kasich: Russian mediation with Milosevic instead of a ground war.
John Kasich: Should have used economic tools with rest of world.
The above quotations are from Columns and news articles on NY politics in The Wall Street Journal.