This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: declaring a forest health emergency on federal lands
Source: National Forest Health Act (H.R.229)
National Forest Health Act: To declare that a forest health emergency exists on Federal lands under their jurisdiction; to carry out accelerated forest health improvement programs to prevent further forest damage and reduce the risk of disaster wildfires on these lands; and to implement management strategies designed to produce sustained, diverse, and healthy forest ecosystems on these lands. The Congress finds the following:
- Forest health emergencies currently exist on many Federal forest lands that have substantial areas of dead and dying trees as a result of drought, insect infestations, disease, fire, windstorm, or other causes.
- There are many complex causes for these forest health emergencies, including historic and recent forest management methods, fire suppression policies, forest-type changes, and climate trends.
When forest health emergencies exist and are allowed to spread, substantial economic losses are sustained, through the loss of timber, watershed quality and performance, recreational opportunities, and fishery and wildlife habitat.
- Federal forest lands subject to a forest health emergency, if properly thinned or otherwise treated to reduce unnatural levels of dry fuel, will have a better chance of resisting insect and disease epidemics, as well as being able to tolerate both prescribed fire and occasional wildfires.
- The removal of dead, dying, and excess live trees on Federal forest lands subject to a forest health emergency, if done expeditiously and with sensitivity to the need to retain some dead wood to help provide stand structure for multi-resource values, can begin the forest health restoration process
- Topic: Environment
- Headline: Declare a forest health emergency on federal lands
- Headline 2: Declare a forest health emergency on federal lands
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 93-HR229
||s2o||California Republican (Retiring 2012)|| |
participating in 93-HR229
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: